2nd Summer School on
Environmental Applications of Advanced Oxidation Processes
of the European PhD School on AOPs
NEREUS COST Action ES1403
Advanced Treatment Technologies and Contaminants of Emerging Concern
Porto (Portugal), July 10-14, 2017
The “2nd Summer School on Environmental applications of AOPs” was held on July 10-14, 2017 in Porto (Portugal).
The 2nd edition was jointly organized by “European PhD School on Advanced Oxidation Processes” (School) and NEREUS COST Action ES1403, with the support of Associate Laboratory LSRE-LCM, Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto.
A total of 134 partecipants (80 PhD students) from 21 Countries attended the Summer School.
The lectures/talks were delivered by School Scientific Committee members and international experts and they can be downloaded through the link of the corresponding title from the following program.
Monday July 10, 2017 (School introduction and “Floor to PhD students”)
- Short Oral Communications (PhD students)
- Publication of research results, FEUP Library Team
- How to get your article published: An editor perspective, Gianluca Li Puma, Loughborough University, UK, Editor, Journal of Hazardous Materials (Elsevier)
- Poster session & Coffee Break
Tuesday July 11, 2017 (Complementary skills and fundamentals of AOPs)
- AOPs for environmental applications: an overview, Dionissios Mantzavinos, U. Patras, Greece
- How to manage your time during your research life?, Suresh Pillai, Institute of Technology Sligo, Ireland
- Photocatalysis: semiconductor physics, Carlos Tavares, U. Minho, Portugal
- Fundamentals of photocatalysis applications for water detoxification, trends and limitations, Elisenda Pulido Melián, U. Las Palmas Gran Canaria, Spain
- Photophysical mechanistic aspects of AOPs, Antonio Arques, U. Politècnica de València, Spain
- Simulation and design of photoreactors, Javier Marugan, U. Rey Juan Carlos, Spain
- Catalytic wet peroxide oxidation (CWPO): potential applications and challenges, Juan José Rodriguez, U. Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
- Catalytic wet air oxidation (CWAO): process and catalyst developments, Helder T. Gomes, IPB, Bragança, Portugal
- Applications of raceway pond reactors for solar photo-Fenton: principles and uses, J.A. Sánchez Pérez, U. Almería, Spain
- Electrochemical advanced oxidation processes, Manuel A. Rodrigo Rodrigo, U. Castilla la Mancha, Spain
- Assessment of ElectroFenton technology for water and soil restoration, M. Pazos Currás and A. Sanroman, U. Vigo, Spain
- Chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis of polar chemicals in water and transformation products elucidation, José Benito Quintana, U. Santiago Compostela, Spain
- General discussion about AOPs, Montserrat Pérez-Moya, U. Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain
Wednesday July 12, 2017 (CECs and antibiotic resistance control in water/wastewater)
- New and emerging challenges and opportunities in wastewater reuse: NEREUS COST Action ES1403, Despo Fatta-Kassinos, NIREAS-IWRC, University of Cyprus
- MSCA individual fellowships proposal preparation & writing “Hints & Tips” – The Evaluator’s “Point of View”, Despo Fatta-Kassinos, NIREAS-IWRC, University of Cyprus
- Treatment of CECs by solar driven AOPs, Sixto Malato, Plataforma Solar de Almería, Spain
- Effects of AOPs on toxicity of CECs oxidation intermediates, Idil Arslan Alaton, Istanbul Technical U., Turkey
- Antibiotic resistant bacteria as contaminants of emerging concern, Celia Manaia, U.Católica, Portugal
- Microbial inactivation by the solar-assisted Fenton process at near-neutral pH, Stefanos Giannakis, École Polytechnique Fédérale De Lausanne, Switzerland
- Advances in photocatalytic urban wastewater treatment for controlling antibiotic resistance spread, Luigi Rizzo, U. Salerno, Italy
- Endocrine disrupting chemicals and emerging contaminants: new challenges and perspectives, Miguel Santos, CIIMAR, Portugal
- Removal of CECs from urban wastewater by membrane bioreactors (MBRs), Pawel Krzeminski, Systems Eng. and Techn. Norwegian Inst. for Water Research (NIVA)
- Use of biochar from microware pyrolysis for removal of pharmaceuticals by filtration, Petr Hlavínek, Technical U. Brno, Czech Republic
- Disinfection of WWTP secondary effluents by solar photo-Fenton process, Ana Belén Esteban García, Plataforma Solar de Almería – CIESOL, Spain
- Ionizing radiations as efficient AO(R)P method for remediation of waters and wastewaters, Andrea Capodaglio, U. degli Studi di Pavia, Italy
- Application of ultrasound for the degradation of organic pollutants in waters, Ricardo A. Torres-Palma, U. Antioquia, Colombia
Thursday July 13, 2017 (Workshop on Advanced Treatment)
- Photocatalytic removal of organic pollutants and the subsequent synergic reduction of Cr6+ in aqueous solution, using sodium decatungstate photocatalysts, Mohamed Sarakha, U. Clermont Auvergne, France
- On photocatalytic membrane reactors in water and wastewater treatment: recent experiences and perspectives, Sylwia Mozia, U. of West Pomeranian, Poland
- Intensification of photocatalytic processes: phenomenological computational modelling Cíntia Soares, Federal U. Santa Catarina, Brazil
- Treatment of agro-industrial and textile wastewaters by different Fenton processes, José Alcides Peres, U. Trás dos Montes, Portugal
- Catalytic ozonation: from powder to structured catalysts, M. Fernando R. Pereira, FEUP, U. Porto, Portugal
- Wastewater treatment by ozonation, Santiago Esplugas, U. Barcelona, Spain
- The Arvia Process: combining adsorption and advanced oxidation, Mikael A. Khan, Arvia, UK
- Treatment by AOPs and reuse of Oil&Gas wastewater, Sandra Contreras, U. Rovira i Virgili, Spain
- Novel photoreactors for photocatalytic processes: towards process Intensification, Vítor J.P. Vilar, FEUP, U. Porto, Portugal
- From bench- to full-scale AOPs application, Sérgio C. Silva, Adventech, Portugal
Friday July 14, 2017 (Technical-Social Event, Sponsored by Adventech)
After the 1st successful Summer School held in Salerno (Italy) in 2015 (please visit this web page for information: http://www.aops-school.com/summer-school/), we are happy to announce that the 2nd Summer School on Environmental applications of AOPs will be held in Porto on July 10-14, 2017.
The Summer School is among the initiatives organized by “EU PhD School on AOPs” for School PhD candidates (free of charge), but other PhD students, MSc students, post-doc and professionals are also welcome (details about the fee and deadlines are given in the attached “registration form”).
Research presented in the Summer School will be considered for possible publication in a special issue of “Environmental Science and Pollution Research” journal (Springer, Impact Factor: 2.760).
- Fourth announcement (updated 9 June 2017)
- Registration form
- Abstract template
- Accommodation information
- Venue and information about Porto
To complete the registration to the Summer School, please fill in the attached registration form and send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information and/or questions can be addressed to Luigi Rizzo by email (email@example.com).